Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
STRATEGIC PLANNING IN THE NEW NORMAL
STRATEGIC PLANNING IN THE NEW NORMAL
by Dr. Enrico C. Mina
September 23, 2020
9:00am – 12:00nn
Regular Rate Php 1,499.00 + VAT starting September 17, 2020
Early Bird Rate Php 1,399.00 + VAT until September 16, 2020
Group Rate Php 1,299.00 + VAT per pax for 5 or more pax
Inclusive of the Webinar Session, the Presentation Materials and the Digital Certificate
Strategy is the plan of action that prescribes resource allocation and other activities for dealing with the environment and helping the organization attain its goals. Strategic management is the set of decisions and actions used to formulate and implement strategies that will provide a competitively superior fit between the organization and its environment so as to achieve organizational goals.
The characteristics of a strategic decision are:
- Is broad in scope
- Has far-reaching consequences
- Is crucial to future survival and growth
- Usually entails a substantial commitment of organizational resources
- Is difficult to reverse
Because of these characteristics, strategic decisions cannot be left to chance or “gut feel.” The consequences can be severe. Strategic management has to start with a data-based assessment of the external environmental trends to identify the opportunities and threats that are emerging and will have impact on the firm and its industry. Then there has to be a factual appraisal of the firm’s capabilities and limitations, or in other words, its strengths and weaknesses. These assessments will lead to an identification of strategic options, which need to be evaluated. After the optimal strategy mix has been selected, plans must be made for the successful implementation of such strategies.
This is an overview course on the basic process of how to do strategic planning, whether the organization is in manufacturing, service, or not-for-profit.
At the end of this course, the participants will have been able to:
1. Scan the external business environment to identify potential threats and opportunities that may impact on the organization
2. Appraise the internal strengths and weaknesses of the organization
3. Based on a synthesis of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats, identify key strategies for gaining sustainable competitive advantage
4. Evaluate these strategies to select those that are feasible and have a high probability of success
5. Translate these objectives into measures, targets, projects, and programs
Who Should be Involved in the Process?
To be effective, strategic planning has to be done from a total systems perspective, i.e., it involves all the key decision-makers in all operating and support units and departments. The CEO and all department heads must participate from beginning to end. It is a collaborative exercise where everyone sees the same information and all ideas are welcome. The reason is that an enterprise is a system composed of different units doing different work but which are all interrelated, i.e., each one affects the others. At the same time, the enterprise as a whole has to interact with the bigger environmental system that impacts on it.
I. The need for setting a cohesive organizational direction
C. Core values
D. Strategic goals
E. Tactical goals
F. Operational goals
G. The need for planning
H. The Pareto Principle
II. Strategic Management
A. Definition of and need for strategic management
B. What is strategy?
C. Characteristics of a strategic decision
III. Environmental Scanning
A. The impact of external environmental forces on the organization
B. The general environment
C. The industry-specific environment
1. Rivalry among existing competitors
2. Bargaining power of suppliers
3. Bargaining power of buyers
4. Threat of new entrants
5. Threat of substitution
D. External forces impact directly on the organization but are beyond its control. They create:
3. The same force can be both a threat and an opportunity
E. An organizational can control only its response to these forces
F. The organization must anticipate the nature, location, timing, direction, and magnitude of the external environmental trends
IV. Internal Appraisal
A. Organizational response to external forces is dependent on its
1. Capabilities (strengths)
2. Limitations (weaknesses)
3. All organizations, large or small, have both strengths and weaknesses
4. Areas of appraisal
B. Strengths and weaknesses are dependent on
1. Core competence
2. Synergy (internal and with business partners)
3. These can be deliberately developed or created through managerial actions
C. Definition of core competence
D. Definition of synergy
V. SWOT Analysis
A. What is a SWOT Matrix?
C. Porter’s competitive strategies
2. Cost leadership
D. Product-market scope
1. Market penetration
2. Market development
3. Product development
VI. Development of Strategic Objectives
A. Translation of agreed critical-few strategies into specific, measurable, challenging, and time-bound targets or results to be achieved
1. Starting at the CEO’s level
2. Cascaded and made more detailed at successively lower levels
B. The basis for tactical and operating plans, programs, and projects
C. Need for “line of sight” alignment with the overall organizational strategic goals and with the strategies of other units
D. Responsibility and accountability for results at all levels are assigned to specific persons
E. Become a major basis for performance evaluation
This course is conducted online through Zoom over a three-hour period (9:00 AM – 12:00 NN).
The facilitator is Dr. Enrico C. Mina. He has extensive experience in strategic planning in San Miguel Corporation and United Laboratories, Inc. He has also facilitated strategic planning sessions in many well-known organizations. At present he is an Associate Professor at the Ateneo Graduate School of Business MBA Programs at Rockwell, Makati City, at the Ateneo School of Medicine & Public Health, and at the Ateneo School of Government at Loyola Heights. He has a Doctor of Business Administration degree from De La Salle University.
R͟E͟S͟O͟U͟R͟C͟E͟ ͟S͟P͟E͟A͟K͟E͟R͟ ͟-͟ ͟Dr. Enrico C. Mina
- Dr. Enrico C. Mina is an Associate Professor of the Ateneo de Manila University Graduate School of Business, who teaches various economics and business management courses. He has had 27 years of teaching experience, the bulk of which was at the post-graduate level at the AGSB. Dr. Mina returned three years ago from a three-year teaching engagement as Senior Lecturer at the Department of Business Studies of the Papua New Guinea University of Technology at Lae City, Morobe Province, Papua New Guinea. While there, he taught courses in basic economics and management and acted as the Director of the Executive MBA Program, which he helped conceptualize and design and in which he taught six courses.
- Dr. Mina also has extensive experience in the business world as manager, consultant, and trainer, particularly in the areas of Total Quality Management and kaizen (continuous improvement), operations and supply chain management, and strategic management.
- Dr. Mina is a faculty member as well at the Ateneo School of Government, teaching Applied Economics in the Public Sector. At the same time, he teaches MBA courses at the Ateneo School of Medicine and Public Health, whose curriculum seamlessly integrates medical science and management.
- He has written and published several research papers and original cases. While at PNG University of Technology, he wrote a textbook entitled Introduction to Economics for use by the university’s Department of Open and Distance Learning’s Adult Matriculation Program. He has also been the adviser of the Governance Innovation Report (equivalent to a masteral thesis) of 24 students at the Ateneo School of Government.
- Dr. Mina obtained his Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) degree from De La Salle University-Manila in 2011, his MBA from the Ateneo Graduate School of Business in 1979, and two undergraduate degrees (AB major in Economics and BSBA major in Management, Summa cum Laude) from De La Salle University-Manila in 1973.
LIMITED SLOTS. Limited slots are available. To avoid last-minute delays and inconveniences, we advise you to please register at the latest two days or one day before the webinar event.
REGISTRATION. You must register or be registered by someone else to be able to join our webinars. Webinar access links are strictly sent through email therefore make sure you indicate the right email addresses for the participants. Please indicate how many participants you wish to include before hitting the REGISTER NOW button.
CHECK OUT. When you go to the Checkout Page, double-check the number of participants you have to register, if you change your mind or wish to make last-minute adjustments, do not forget to update your cart by clicking the UPDATE CART button. Once everything is final, you may now click the PROCEED TO CHECK OUT button.
BILLING DETAILS AND THE NAMES OF THE PARTICIPANTS. On the upper portion, you have to enter your details (esp. your email address) as the one paying for the registration. Underneath, you have to enter the details (esp. the email addresses) of the participants you wish to join the webinar.
POWERMAX provides three (3) payment options:
(1) Bank Deposit/Online Bank Transfer
(3) PayPal/Credit or Debit Card Through PayPal
Bank Deposit or Online Bank Transfer / G-Cash
If you choose Bank Deposit/Online Bank Transfer or G-Cash, you have to send the proof of payment to email@example.com.
IMPORTANT: Proof of payment must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to send the proof of payment to email@example.com means the participants will not receive the webinar links even if the proof of payment is sent to other contact details of Powermax or its representatives (e.g., Facebook, Messenger, Viber, other email addresses, etc.).
Payment Through PayPal
If you choose to pay for your registration using PayPal you may do so. Please take note that PayPal also accepts Debit Cards and Credit Cards bearing the VISA and Mastercard logo. Unlike the Bank Deposit/Online Bank Transfer, the PayPal process automatically updates our system to issue the participants their access to our webinars.
WEBINAR ACCESS LINKS. Once payment is made and verified, we can activate the spot on the webinar then we can send the webinar access links to the email addresses of the participants – this only goes with Bank Deposit/Online Bank Transfer / G-Cash. However, for payments made using PayPal, the activation process is automatic. Note that your webinar access link cannot be shared with anyone else. If you cannot attend on the date and time of the webinar kindly advise us at the latest one day ahead.
POWER WEBINARS. Powermax live webinars are designed to give you an incisive insight into a plethora of interesting and relevant topics using Zoom technology. It aims to uncork the latest updates, best practices, useful strategies, and tactics, and/or practical tips and techniques not just to widen your horizon but also to equip you with the essential knowledge and skills. Hopefully, this will also encourage you to register for the other webinars of Powermax. Just visit our site – www.powermax.ph to see our other webinars.
A PLEASANT WEBINAR EXPERIENCE
To ensure a pleasant webinar experience, we recommend to registrants to:
- Download and install the Zoom application beforehand
- Ensure that there is a proper internet WIFI connection
- Use a working webinar streaming device.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Definition of Terms
- REGISTRANT – The person who has registered himself or other people for a webinar of Powermax
- ENROLLEE(S) – The person(s) registered by the REGISTRANT
- PAID REGISTRANT – The registrant who has paid in full for the registration of the ENROLLEE(S)
- ATTENDEE(S) – The enrollee(s) who has / have actually attended the webinar
- The Official Receipts will be made available for pick up at the office of Powermax Consulting Group. If you need a soft copy, we can take a picture of it and send you a copy online. However, if you want the physical copy delivered to your office, you can arrange with and pay for a local courier service like Lalamove or Grab Express.
- Sharing of the presentation materials depends on the webinar speaker.
(a) Some speakers willingly share their materials while others don’t.
(b) For the speakers who are willing to share their presentation materials
- Some prefer that the materials be sent in advance while others prefer that they be sent after the webinar
- Some prefer that the handouts to be given to the attendees are different from the PowerPoint files that they use and will not share the PPT files
Powermax cannot guarantee that the presentation materials of each webinar will be shared, or shared in advance, or will be the same as the PPT file of the speaker.
- Any form of video, image or audio recording during the webinar is not allowed unless with the express permission of the speaker and the management of Powermax Consulting Group.
- Your registration fee entitles your enrollee(s) to a slot in a webinar you have paid for but no record of the video of the webinar will be given.
- If an enrollee fails to join the webinar because Powermax fails to give the webinar link, the payment of his / her REGISTRANT will be refunded in full or if the REGISTRANT prefers, the payment will be rolled over to other webinars of his / her choice.
- If an enrollee advises Powermax five (5) days before the scheduled date of the webinar that he / she cannot attend it, the payment for that slot will be rolled over to another webinar. But if he / she avails of the presentation materials of that webinar (assuming the speaker has shared the materials), the payment cannot be rolled over to another webinar.
- If an enrollee fails to attend a webinar and also fails to advise Powermax five (5) days before the scheduled date of the webinar, the presentation materials of that webinar (assuming the speaker has shared the materials) will be given to him / her but there will be no option for rollover.
- If an enrollee fails to attend a webinar because of a technical glitch on his / her device but other enrollees manage to join the said webinar, there will be no liability on the part of Powermax unless it can be established that there is a clear fault by a representative of Powermax.
- Certificates will be given to the ATTENDEES only.
- Questions or clarifications about the subject matter of a webinar can only be entertained by the speakers during the holding of the webinar only. After the webinar, the speaker cannot be obliged to answer them.
Thank you and enjoy!
Keep safe and God Bless!
STRATEGIC PLANNING IN THE NEW NORMAL